Full Program Details Can be Found Here
Imagine yourself living in a gorgeous UNESCO World Heritage City wedged between a famed river with UNESCO World Heritage Center status and 2,000-year-old ancient grape vineyards on verdant hills. Porto, the second-largest city in Portugal is listed as a staple on best places to visit in Europe and only a three-hour train ride away from Lisbon. Studying in Porto offers you sparkling lovely beaches and fresh Atlantic Ocean air. It is a lively and youthful place to live with numerous colleges and universities. All of these factors are sure to support engagement in your study abroad learning experience.
Portugal is especially noted for its kind people, wonderful traditional Fado music, surfing waves, home of a champion soccer team, strong cultural pride, easy shopping, clean and wifi-enabled public transportation, and delicious cuisine all set in a very peaceful country. Porto is home to perhaps the most famous bookstore in the world where J.K. Rowling first drafted her Harry Potter book while sitting among red winding staircases that appear to even move! There are miles of beaches to explore and enjoy, and beachside foods to try only a 15-minute fun tramway or bus ride away from the city center. The city is on a hill creating an amazing layering of vantage points during the day, from strolling along the café lined Douro River to the lofty heights of Porto overlooking the river and a beautiful town accessed by a bridge designed by the same architect as the Eiffel Tower. You can try traditional foods and enjoy the numerous pastry stores that fill the city, visit art museums and galleries, ride old-fashioned trams, and explore the famed Majestic Cafe that inspired many famed Portuguese poets and writers such as Fernando Pessoa. Many student-aged people visit Porto for its inexpensive prices and friendly, fun, and supportive culture. There is a state-of-the-art music venue and music shops to explore and perhaps even to pick up a Ukulele which was born in the area around Porto, Portugal.
PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Dr. Carla Bluhm (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ESTIMATED PROGRAM COST INCLUDES
- Accommodations at Moov Hotel Centro in Porto for the program's duration
- Some meals including welcome dinner at a local restaurant and a farewell dinner on the beach
- Local grocery card
- Local field trips & tours as listed below under "Activities & Administration"
- Health insurance policy providing coverage for any medical expenses that may incur
ESTIMATED PROGRAM COST DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Tuition, which will be paid directly to each student's home institution (the USG Goes Global tuition rate is $199/credit hour)
- Airfare (students will arrange their own roundtrip airfare separately, but the program director/faculty flight details will be provided for students that wish to purchase tickets for the same flight)
- Textbooks or other required course materials
- Ground transport to/from Atlanta airport
- Passport or visa expenses
- Personal spending money for meals that are not included, souvenirs, or personal travel
COURSE INFORMATION: Students will be responsible for coursework before, during, and after program travel. Coursework will be completed through onsite lectures, walking tours, and group discussions coupled with readings, writing assignments, and online lectures. Courses begin before the program departs and may continue after the program returns via online content. For course equivalencies at their home institution, students should contact their Institutional Representatives. Please see Academics below for available courses, syllabi, and course requirements.
PASSPORT/VISA REQUIREMENT: A valid passport is required to travel to this destination. At this time, U.S. passport holders do not need an additional visa to travel to this destination. If you do not currently hold a valid passport, you may apply for one through the U.S. Department of State. Participants traveling on passports of other countries should contact their Institutional Representative to determine whether or not a visa is required for travel to this destination. **PASSPORTS MUST BE VALID FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTHS AFTER THE CONCLUSION OF INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL. For more information on entry and exit requirements, please visit the DoS Country Information page here.
- The $200 application deposit is non-refundable unless a student is not accepted into the program or USG Goes Global cancels the program.
- Program details such as exact dates, program fee & airfare costs, etc. are subject to change.
- Students utilizing financial aid that will be disbursed after the payment deadline may request a payment deferral to the date their financial aid will be disbursed so that they do not have to make payments prior to receiving expected financial aid.
CANCELLATION POLICY: USG Goes Global reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time due to low enrollment or any other appropriate circumstance (including but not limited to situations that may endanger the health or safety of participants) in USG Goes Global's sole discretion. If USG Goes Global cancels the program, only those fees or costs that USG Goes Global is able to have returned by the third-party service providers will be returned to participants and the program cancellation schedule will still apply. In the event of course cancellation by USG Goes Global, any return of a participant's paid tuition will be determined separately by the tuition refund policy of the participant's college or university.
Full Program Details Can be Found Here
Students do NOT have to be proficient in Portuguese before participating in the program; courses are taught in English by faculty from USG schools.
For course descriptions, visit the program website.
Students do not register for these courses through BANNER; instead, the CGE works with the Office of the Registrar to register students after the study abroad application is complete.
||PSYC 4404-Special Topics in Psychology
||PSYC 1101 or 1101H C or better
|Intro to Human Development: Growing Up Porto Style
||not an approved UNG course